Gene Lewis Perry

If life were like fairy tales, I'd have been devoured by trolls already.

25 random things about me

Posted on | February 15, 2009 | 4 Comments

This is a Facebook meme but I am cross-posting it here.

1. The matter composing my body was formed more than five but less than 14 billion years ago by a fusion reaction occurring at the center of an enormous ball of plasma.
2. When this star ran out of fuel in its core, it went nova, pushing the carbon and other elements that compose my body out into the universe.
3. Gravitational forces eventually brought these elements into orbit around another ball of plasma where they condensed into a planet.
4. By at least 2.4 billion years ago, my ancestors formed on this planet out of organic chemicals that stored and transferred information via self-replicating nucleic acids.
5. My ancestors multiplied and diversified over trillions of generations through random genetic variations.
6. This led different types of organisms to find separate niches for survival and reproduction, thus allowing the most successful to pass on their genes.
7. About 150 to 250 million years ago, a branch of this genetic lineage had become what we call mammals, with sweat glands, hair, and mammary glands that they use to feed their young.
8. A branch of these mammals evolved into human beings between 400,000 and 200,000 years ago.
9. My earliest traceable female human ancestor lived about 140,000 years ago in what is now Ethiopia, Kenya or Tanzania.
10. My ancestors began migrating and eventually spread all over the world between between 70,000 and 50,000 years ago.
11. The language I speak originated among Anglo-Saxon people who invaded England at about 449 AD from the regions of Denmark and northern Germany.
12. This language was further influenced by more waves of invasion from Scandinavia in the 8th and 9th centuries and Normandy (modern-day France) in the 11th century.
13. My ancestor Daniel Ross was a Scottish trader who came to the United States in the 18th century.
14. He married a Scots-Cherokee woman named Mary McDonald and they had 9 children, including my ancestor Andrew Ross and his older brother John Ross, who would become Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation.
15. In 1835, Andrew Ross signed the Treaty of New Echota, trading Cherokee land in Georgia for land in Arkansas and Oklahoma.
16. This treaty, which culminated in the Trail of Tears, was signed against the wishes of John Ross and a majority of Cherokees. Most signers of the treaty were later assassinated by Cherokees loyal to John Ross, though Andrew managed to escape.
17. Other of my ancestors lived in the 19th Century in the village of Belgorodka, in a region along the western Russian border known as the Pale of Settlement.
18. This region was the only place in Russia where Jews were allowed permanent residence.
19. Today it is part of the Ukraine.
20. My great-great-grandmother came from Belgorodka to the United States through Ellis Island on Oct 5, 1906, eventually setting in St. Louis, Missouri.
21. Her son, my great-grandfather Louis Chuver, was on a Navy ship outside Pearl Harbor on the day of the raid, though fortunately far enough away to not be attacked was on the US Neshoba, ready to invade Japan when WWII ended. He was 37 and a radar man. He was drafted after Pearl Harbor even though he had 2 kids, 15 and 5.
22. My mom was born in Washington DC and grew up in St. Louis and Oklahoma.
23. My dad was born in Oklahoma and grew up in Oklahoma and California.
24. At 4:10 am, September 11, 1981, I was born.
25.

My great-grandfather Louis “Zazy” Chuver and me.

Comments

4 Responses to “25 random things about me”

1. uncle k
    February 15th, 2009 @ 12:18 pm

Gene,

What’s your source for Belogorodka (alt. spelling Beilogorodka, Bilohorodka, and others) in the Ukraine? The only place name that Zazy could ever impart to me was “Belorudka,” which I take to refer to Belarus in general although there also has been speculation that the village in question was in Lithuania. In any case, we have (to my understanding) never been able to pin down where in the Pale the Chuvers came from (or how their name was spelled or pronounced).

Second, I didn’t think Zaze was at sea in the Pacific until sometime after Pearl, though perhaps you have better data than I on the subject.

I have a couple of good pix of you and Zazy when you were younger than above; I’ll scan them for you.

2. genelewis
    February 15th, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

Mark found the Ellis Island records from when Zazy’s mom and sisters came through and posted them here: http://chuvermemories.blogspot.com/. It’s at the bottom. I may be wrong about Zazy being at sea then. Someone told me that story but I don’t remember who.

3. uncle k
    February 15th, 2009 @ 2:20 pm

FYI, if you can display the cyrillic.

Белогородка. Белo, byelo, white. город, gorod, town or city.

4. grandma
    February 16th, 2009 @ 3:56 pm

Zazy, Louis Chuver, was on the US Neshoba, ready to invade Japan when the war ended. He was 37, and a Radar man. He was drafted after Pearl Harbor even tho he had 2 kids, 15 and 5.
    Love your new site!